Sunday, 9 October 2011

Crochet and owls

This dear readers is my 100th post ... doesn't time fly. I've been having a bit of a rest from the kaleidoscope blanket this week and dusting off my embroidery hoop .... I used to embroider as a child, but I was more of a "free-style" embroiderer. There was never any particular neatness or formality involved.

I decided to make a bathroom sign using an owl pattern found on Pinterest...

I've got a thing for owls at the moment and without realising it, I have been building a collection everytime I see one in a charity shop...

Mollie Makes blog featured a retro owl embroidery pattern a month or so ago and I really wanted to do it, so I have now moved on to this. It is fiddly to do and requires concentration, but it does make a nice change.



This doesn't mean I haven't done any crochet; the kaleidoscope blanket is progressing perhaps more than I realise. It no longer fits on the dining table and I have taken to laying it on the floor to check my colour flows and progress.



Hubbie wants to know if it is going to be a rug... I tell him in no uncertain terms to keep his feet away from the crochet!

Your comments are always welcome and a few of you have been asking how the blanket is made in terms of colour choice. I am making this blanket up as I go along and just allow it to grow "organically". I'm always inspired by nature and take photos when I go walking... nature is the best inspiration for colour blending and I am very much influenced by the changes in the seasons and the light.


The hexagons are sewn together with slip stitch and all ends are sewn in beforehand. It is all very organised for me I must say...

I have had real trouble leaving comments this week, but this does not mean I do not read and enjoy your posts. Everytime I write a comment out and click preview, my comment gets deleted.


Wishing you all an enjoyable week x

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work and beautiful pictures also!
Linda

"Petunia Pill" said...

Congrats on your 100th post! It just takes one post and then it all goes from there. I love your embroidery. It's always good to have a little variety! Your story reminds me that I used to do it as a little girl also...and a flood of memories just came back! Thanks for that. Hugs, Annette

not so granny said...

I'm a fan of all things owly. I'm always drawn to fabrics with owls on but don't actually own any. Your owl embroidery is lovely.

K @ Aurora Blythe said...

Congrats on your kaleidoscope ghan progress. Such a work of art! Owls are just adorable creatures. Your collection is quite fantastic. (Love your updated blog baner, too!) Happy day to you!

Teresa said...

I'm an owl person too... wonder how cats and owls get along, because I do love cats too! Owls are related to wisdom, intelligence and wealth (sounds good to me ;) ) and even though I'm not much of a collector I can't resist getting a new one now and then... but usually tiny ones!
That blanket is looking prettier by the day :)
Hope you're having a wonderful weekend.
xxx

areiasdejade said...

Adorável trabalho, impressiona!
Nely

Anonymous said...

I along with you and others are having the same problems with comments! I don't know what has changed as my settings are the same as ever but it is to do with cookies. If you go to tools and then Internet options and then the privacy tab, if you allow all cookies, apply and then OK, you will be able to comment. I got so fed up of my comments disappearing in the exact same way as you describe that I googled until I found some kind of answer and it worked. However, I am not happy to leave it at that setting as I don't think it is good computer security. I change it to comment and then put it back again. It's a palaver but it gets around the annoying problem.

I have the Mollie makes website owl, but I found it somewhere else months and months ago. I had forgotten all about him and I do love him, so it's really nice to see him again. I must get around to doing it. I love your bathroom sign. Your blanket is coming along beautifully. I agree with you looking at nature for inspiration. I think we are often too cautious and frightened of getting it 'wrong'.
Sara

MaryMargaret said...

Woohoo! 100 posts! Not too shabby. I have a thing for owls, too, and I would die to find some like your in our local shops. Also, I'm completely in love with your blanket. It just flows beautifully!

Carol said...

Lovely owl, I've been thinking of getting out my embroidery again but have another sock to knit.
I too had trouble with leaving comments, fiddle faddled around (even took the advice to 'set up your own blog' - that didn't solve it!) but I finally sorted it - so this is what I did - go to Tools, Internet Options, Privacy, Sites, then in the box where it says "address" I added www.blogspot.com and www.blogger.com and clicked "allow". For me, that solved the problem, hope it helps you too.
Carol xx

Mereknits said...

I love the blanket, so beautiful and Owls are a given, love them too. I had a ton of problems leaving comments this week, I usually sign on through AOL, but I found if I sign on through Firefox it works.
Good luck,
Meredith

Little Blue Mouse said...

I love your owl embroidery, he looks so cute.
Those flower hooks by the bathroom door with the heart on are lovely too.
Oh and I've said it before but I'll say it again - the blanket is gorgeous!

Lynne said...

Your blanket is lovely. I like how your just letting it grow naturally. Great owl collection, you have some really cute ones.

Hazel said...

I love your owl collection. I totally get the owl thing although I don't own any of my own. I recently bought my neice some £1.50 drop owl earrings as part of her birthday present from Tesco and think I might have to go back and get some for meeeeee!! Love your blanket. xx

Frances said...

You have a grand sense of color harmony and that really shows in your hexagon blanket. Let it evolve as you wish it to grow.

Owls are wonderful motifs and can be used in so many designs.

Best wishes.

winkieflash said...

Haha and LOL on the comment to your husband :D 'Put away your shoes, and step AWAY from the kaleidoscope blanket!' :D
xo,
wink

Pati from London said...

I LOVE owls (and crochet)... I have 5 owly handbags or so...I find loads of cute owl things in Accesorize (both in the adult and kid sections) and have recently bought a purse, owl socks, a little rucksack.... it's a bit of an addiction!! I love your embroidery bathroom sign. Concerning the crochet deckchair you posted recently, do you think it would be strong enough for the crochet not to break if somebody sits on it? I think it would be an amazing project, pati x

ALITA: said...

hermosa conbinación de color :) esta muy linda tu manta y el buho también. Saludos Alita

Conny's Cottage said...

So sweet!!!!

Maggie said...

Beautiful blog
Greetings from Poland
Maggie

Leah said...

Your blanket is looking amazing! It must be such a pleasure to work on. Have a lovely week.

Vicky said...

Your blanket is lovely! I love it!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

Congrats on the 100th post. Your blanket looks lovely!

Jenny said...

I am new to your blog, but WOW, what a fabulous blanket, love it! Your use of colour is really stunning, Jenny x

wilhelmina said...

Lovely blog. I've just discovered you. I visited Louisa May Alcott's Orchard House this summer and discovered that she loved owls. Her sister painted one on her fireplace. You just reminded me of her owl love.
Wilhelmina