Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Vintage popcorn square...

I received a lovely email from a lady called Sue telling me she had worked out the pattern for the vintage blanketI bought from a charity shop last week. Cue great excitement on my part... Sue - who has a delightful blog Mrs Micawber - not only worked out the pattern, but proceeded to write a very comprehensive pattern for me; so much so that I produced the above square with no head scratching or colourful language!


The commaraderie that has been shown through finding this vintage blanket and my enquiring about the pattern has warmed my heart no end. It took me about one hour to make this square, so I cannot imagine how long it took to work out the pattern. I am very grateful you took the time and energy to do this Sue and you truly are an earth-bound crochet angel.

Sitting down and making this square made me realise just how much work went into making the vintage blanket. I used a 3.5mm hook and 4 ply yarn and the square produced was 6 inches square - twice the size of the vintage blanket square, which was 3 inches square. When I look at the chain stitches on the vintage blanket they are tiny, so it would not surprise me if this blanket was made using a 2.5mm hook! Yikes...

This must be a "join as you go" blanket, so my next hurdle is to master how to do this. I will definently  have a go at making something with this pattern, but I will stick with the 4 ply yarn and 3.5mm hook.

The beauty of the vintage blanket is the delicacy of the pattern, enhanced by the fine yarn and small hook size. The fine yarn makes the popcorn stitches very prominent and the side panels are almost like doily lace. That said, my finger went numb just making one square with thicker yarn and a larger hook, so I don't think I can manage anything delicate just now.

I have Mrs Micawber's permission to share this pattern and I will do this in the next few days....


Before I go I will show you this lampshade cover I made at the weekend. It is very similar to one I made last year. Someone enquired whether they could purchase one from me, and I said "yes, why not!"

Hope you are having a good week x


26 comments:

heather said...

Oh my word!!! I love your square even more than the vintage blanket! What an awesome woman Sue is to figure this out (both in generosity and smarts). Love the teamwork!

Isobel said...

How lovely!! And what a smart lady Sue is. I cannot wait to see the pattern. Your square is just as lovely as the whole blanket. xx

vintage grey said...

Oh, how wonderful for Sue that she figured out the pattern! I am excited to see it! Love your lampshade, and the sweet deer! :) xo Heather

Amy said...

very nice block, and the sqaures together looks great! I also love the lampshade cover!

Kate said...

Beautiful block ...just my kinda colours and what a lovely lady to work out and share the pattern :0)
Kate x

Casey said...

So awesome that the pattern was worked out! I can't wait to see the pattern, I'm definitely going to attempt a blanket from the squares!

Rustic Vintage Country said...

That is just so gorgeous, Mrs Micawber is brilliant and very generous to work it out and share! Can't wait to try it as I want to do another throw/rug for the cooler evenings and would like to try something which is different. Suzy x
P.S. You may get a similar comment from me, tried to post one and internet explorer or blogger wasn't playing fair and wouldn't accept it!!

MrS wiLD said...

Hello! I'm a new blog reader. I just think you have made some beautiful crochet. Crocheting is so much fun!

This is a fabulous design!

Jo said...

Oh WOW, that's fantastic that Sue was able to come up with the pattern; so so clever and kind. I'm looking forward to seeing the pattern and adding one into my granny a day blanket.
Oh and your lampshade cover looks so cool and the little deer sitting underneath give it a lovely vintage look
Jo:)

Carol said...

That is amazing, Mrs. M. must be a very talented lady. Look forward to reading the pattern.
The lampshade is beautiful.
Carol xx

Sue W @ Living the Good Life said...

The power of the internet! How great that Mrs Micawber came to the rescue. Do I dare go visit her blog??? :D

Mrs. Micawber said...

The block looks great! I was wondering about the size of the originals, but had no idea they were that small. Wow.

Thank you for the kind words. :) It was fun and no trouble at all - much better than doing housework.

What a beautiful lampshade.

The Fairy Glade said...

Isn't blogging wonderful! What would the chances be of finding something like that without the power of the internet, and Mrs Micawber is a genius, I could never have figured that out in a million years. Devx

Shara said...

Love the lampshade cover.

Isn't the world of crocheting fabulous? It is great that someone who take the time to work out the pattern for someone else.

Leslie said...

must. learn. new. pattern....

~ Laura said...

Wow!!! Yes, Sue is a dear!!! I enjoy her so much!! Beautiful photos, poetry and, of course, crochet!! She develops lovely scarves then then shares the pattern!!!! A wonderful, generous woman to be sure!!! And, an obvious genius!! :)

Your square is pretty in those colors!! Do you think it would be a sturdy blanket in the 6" squares? I think I'd prefer the larger size, really.

And your lampshades!!! I love the colors!!!! A happy combination!!

Rachel M said...

Oh wow what a wonderful women!

Flowers in the Window said...

I love the square but I love your lampshade even more - just so lovely :) Maggie xx

Garo ( Punto [&] Vareta) said...

Before of anything i want to introduce myself.. I'm Garo from Mexico ^^ ... i've been watching your blog for a while and its AMAZING! ... thank you so much for sharing all the ideas! ^_^

This square is completely gorgeus... can't wait for the next post =)

Now i decide to have my own blog too, hope you can see it sometime ^^

Have a wonderful day =]

Yenna said...

Lovely square and what a great lamp! I love it!

morganhausen said...

Oh, wow! I've seen pictures of that blanket floating around the blogosphere, but I hadn't yet found the pattern! Awesome.
The lampshade is also fabulous. Loving the little deer figurines!

Micro G said...

Great crochet. Great post.

Amanda said...

hello,
I absolutely LOVE this pattern! I am currently doing this. I couldn't find an inspiration to crochet until I found this. :) Except instead of doing individual squares I am expanding the rows and making a 60 in by 60 in square. One big afghan :D so thank you soo much. I am having so much fun with this! Thank you so much!

MeMeRose said...

Hello Amanda, thank you for your lovely comment. I am so pleased you have found inspiration with the popcorn pattern and I would love to see a photograph of your afghan x

amanda said...

I am currently on the 2nd color so its not too awfully big. And I am very sorry I posted so many comments.it didn't tell me It had to be approved. haha. http://assets3.pinimg.com/upload/403916660299701043_1llc9nxS.jpg
Hopefully that will show you the picture xx

MeMeRose said...

Ooo, I like it! I do not like doing popcorn stitch, so I am very impressed with your afghan undertaking. I look forward to seeing the finished result. Thank you for taking a photo and sending it to me x