Sunday, 6 January 2013

Tying up loose ends....

So far January has been a shock to the system; my body has ached from working and most nights I have been in bed by 8pm. Somewhere, somehow I have managed to continue my resolution to finish various works in progress.


Today I will show you the Autumnal Sky ripple blanket.... hmmmm, there are partks of this blanket I love and parts I am ambivalent about. The colours are very different from my usual palette and take some getting used to. I loved using different yarns including double knitting, chunky yarn and mohair; sometimes crocheting with double yarn mixing type and colour for a variety of textures and colour hues.


I describe this blanket as a "watercolour in crochet" and I really enjoyed trying to interpret the colours of a stormy Autumn sky. It is a warm, weighty blanket because of the chunky yarns used and I really like the way the mixed yarns have created a tweed fabric.


The ripple pattern is from The Royal Sisters and works up very quickly. I edged the sides only, with a shell border. I would like to do another similar blanket at some point, interpretating the colours of the sea. The Autumnal Sky blanket is certainly unique and when all said and done, I am really pleased I stepped out of my comfort zone to make this.

I haven't stopped there... the Kaleidoscope blanket has had additional hexagons added to it so it fits over the bottom of the bed. I cut up the wall hanging an added these hexagons to the blanket. Also, three crochet borders have been added to old hand towels to give them a new lease of life. Unfortunately after struggling to photograph the ripple blanket on such a grey foggy day, I gave up trying to photograph anything else, so there are no pictures to show you just yet.


Today is one of my favourite days of the year - even though at 2pm the fog is only just lifting and making way for grey skies and drizzle - we have spotted the first snowdrops in the garden!! The abundance of new shoots in the garden has inspired me to put up the crocus plates alongside the snowdrop plates, a sight which is managing to lift my spirits no end.


I will leave you with a picture of our bedroom wall... swan tapestries keep falling into my path at the moment and a new collection is forming.


Wishing you a happy and productive week ahead x

25 comments:

moonstruckcreations said...

I love your blanket, those colours are just delightful.

And the first snowdrop - that has to be cause for celebration!

Helenxx

Anonymous said...

I really like the colour choices in your blanket and they emulate an autumn sky really well. There ARE inconsistencies and changes in the colour of the sky so that is to be expected. I think you have succeeded really well with this lovely blanket.

I am less inclined to be enthusiastic about a sea blanket. Any I have seen are really dull and lifeless. A mixture of the worst kinds of pale insipid blues and greys, quite horrible really I'm afraid. The sea is not mostly very nice to look at colour-wise.Of course the spray and waves makes it riveting nevertheless. I've not liked any of the crochet sea or for that matter sky blankets that I have seen. The beautiful sea greens tend to be not off our shores. Anything sea-side themed, tends to get me running a mile, especially when you through in sand colour (beige) for good measure. You are good with colour and interpreting it though, so perhaps you can prove me wrong. At least you are experimenting, I find single paletes used over and over again, not very stimulating to look at or use, no matter how nice they are. Art is about exploring colour not sticking to your safety net.

faith76 said...

Love your interpretation of an Autumnal sky - I think it works beautifully. I also adore swans and your collection is off to a great start.:-) Happy new year! Leah x

ariadne said...

The swan tapestries are gorgeous!And all three together look great!AriadnefromGreece!

Vinty Dam said...

Your blanket is lovely. It really does look like autumn. I am in awe of how you got through it all, with only those colors (one always wants things to be bright and happy, you knows), but the end result is quite fabulous. Looks like it would be good to curl up with, cocoa in hand. Thank you for sharing!!! Xoxo, Jess

Lynne said...

I think your blanket is wonderful. Well done!

Jenny said...

I LOVE your blanket, its just stunning and so unique, What a great idea, mixing up different yarns!

kaysbee said...

Your autumn blanket is stunning! Really lovely.

kaysbee said...

Your autumn blanket is stunning! Really lovely - you should work with different color palettes more often.

Samantha Roberts said...

Love your blanket, I'm impressed by your choice of using different yarns on one item - it's worked well. Looking forward to seeing your other things once you're able to take some pics xx

Mereknits said...

I think your blanket is just so beautiful, the colors are subtle, and gorgeous. Really lovely,
Meredith

Alise said...

Hi! I really enjoy to follow your blog ! So nice pictures and gorgeous hand-made design things!

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

Loving the ripple, think it might be a while before I tackle one, they look complicated! :) x

Usharanee Murugesu said...

Gorgeous ripple blanket...You deserve a giant hug and pat in the back...lovely snowdrop...pretty plate and love your wall.

Usha
usharaneem@yahoo.com

Stel said...

Good on you for being so brave with the colours! It does look lovely, clever idea to play wiith different yarns. I'm not really a fan of 'fancy' yarns and mixxing it with others, but yours is nice and subtle; a very pretty blanket.

MeMeRose said...

Ada, this pattern in particular is probably one of the easiest first crochet projects you could choose. The first couple of rows would be hard work and knowing which is the last stitch can be a challenge at first, but other than those two little things very do-able!

MeMeRose said...

Wow... thank you ladies for your crochet love; I really did not think I would receive so much feedback for this one. Thank you for taking the time to share your views x

my4lilgirls said...

I absolutely love this blanket.....what can I say its a beaut!!!!!
Karen x

Nana Go-Go said...

Looks like 'tis the season to be rippling! I'm attempting one too as a bit of mindless crafting to take my mind of other things, so instead of structuring a pattern, I'm throwing everything in my stash at it but it's turning out to be a bit of a dog's dinner! Unlike yours which is absolutely stunning! I love your colour scheme which is a complete departure from your other lovely makes but just as stonkingly beautiful. Off to do some unravelling!

Nana Go-Go said...

ps I forgot to say 'Thank You' for your sweet visit to mine and leaving your kind words.

Pixie said...

The ripple blanket is truly stunning, i love to see the differant use of yarns that produce intersting textures, its a real triumph, i think you may of inspired me now to do a ripple blanket, i have pondering over a new blanket for a while now and a ripple is a design that i have yet to do.....great choice of colours too.
Love it.
Pixie x

susiloci said...

Qué bonita, es una preciosidad!!!!!!!

Sharron said...

Firstly, well done on creating another wonderful blanket, and secondly for being brave enough to go with a very different palette to what you're used to and persevering with it! It paid off and I can definitely see the tweed effect coming through it. After some horrendous grey days, yesterday was particularly bright here. Did you have the same and manage to get some pics of the kaleidoscope blanket per chance? Can't wait to see that!!!The Crocus plate is lovely too x

Nana Go-Go said...

Finished mine and in the end, I quite like it!

Natas Nest said...

Wow, just l♥ve your blanket!! And the snowdrop photo is adorable ♥