Wednesday, 30 January 2013

Wordy Wednesday...


I must say I was excited to hear the publishers of Mollie Makes were bringing out a crochet magazine and eventually, due to the actions of a lovely soul, I have managed to get my hands on a copy... It arrived on Friday afternoon just as the snow was starting to fall and I sat by the fire and enjoyed  my copy of Simply Crochet. Here are my thoughts on issue one...
It must be difficult to produce a craft magazine aimed at all skill levels; a magazine has to be beginner friendly, but not too simplistic to turn away the more proficient crocheter. Issue one of Simply Crochet featured nine pages on how to get started with crochet and basic stitches. This may change with subsequent issues? Many of the projects were “easy makes” such as granny square cushions and bunting, but I think as time goes on this magazine will find its equilibrium and appeal to all skill sets. The styling in the magazine is very “Mollie Makes” and overall I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

One bugbear I have with all crochet magazines is their lack of photographic tutorials to go alongside the written patterns and this is where many crochet blogs have the edge. I realise space is an issue, but personally I would like to see less adverts and more photographic tutorials. I would have loved to see a photographic tutorial alongside the pattern for crochet edging on a pillowcase. There is one  pattern taken from a book for an amigurumi dragon that has a photographic tutorial.

As a blogger and avid reader of crafting blogs and sites such as Pinterest, Ravelry and Flickr, I feel I have seen most of the featured projects and ideas already, but as with Mollie Makes, this magazine has the potential to become a wonderful reference library which can be re-visited over the years when the need for inspiration strikes. I often dig out old issues of Mollie Makes to have a browse through.

The thing to remember with being part of blogland is that it is so easy to become accustomed to finding out about the latest patterns and products on a daily basis and a magazine can never match this. A magazines strength lies in the fact that you cannot beat sitting down with a favourite magazine and a cuppa for an hour of self-indulgence. There is something rather wonderful about seeing your favourite magazines stacked up on your bedside table.

When I get the time I would like to cover a coat hanger or two and try my hand at crochet edging some of my vintage pillowcases... I’ll need to buy some crochet cotton first. For those just starting out on their crochet journey, this magazine is an absolute gem.

Love love love the porch when the Spring flowers are blooming... and I also love this turquoise pot...
I’m looking forward to seeing how this magazine develops in the months to come and I feel it already outshines the established crochet magazines out there. Do check it out if you happen to be in the newsagents.... Issue two comes with a rather cool owl shaped hook gauge; I just hope my local WH Smiths gets its act together and starts stocking Simply Crochet!
 

22 comments:

Irene said...

Thank you, thank you so much for the review of the latest crochet magazine. I am definately looking out for it.
luv
irene
xxxx

Samantha Roberts said...

I have also subscribed to this new mag and have the same thoughts on it as you. I love to flick through books and magazines as well as surf the net, but then I'm more of a CD / vinyl music listener than a downloader!

Sharron said...

Thank you for the review :) I totally agree about the buzz you get from being able to sit down with a good magazine, cuppa in hand. I think I'll look out for a copy next time I'm out and about! Love the quote you posted, have a lovely day xx

Janine en Suus said...

I sure hope that magazine will be published in the Netherlands too!
Janine

Wendy said...

thanks for the review - I was wondering whether to buy this magazine and now I know that I won't! I'm definitely NOT a fan of Mollie Makes. I have seen this mag in Hobbycraft and even in my local Asda, have you tried the supermarket?

Mereknits said...

I can't wait to see it. Blogs are so fun, well so is Pinterest, it is like getting a new magazine everyday. I really love to sit down and look through a new magazine, but is can be so disheartening when you get a new one and there is absolutely nothing in it you want to make. Pinterest and blogs never let you down.
Meredith

MeMeRose said...

Oh you have reminded me Wendy about Morrisons, they will have it there I am sure. I'm surprised you are not a fan of Mollie Makes... I love the styling and if I didn't get it I would feel I was missing out. As far as project inspiration goes, blogland is hard to beat though. Have a good day x

Frances said...

MeMeRose, I appreciate seeing your review of this newest offshoot of Mollie Makes, and will keep a lookout for it on the international newsstand at Barnes & Noble over here in NYC.

I so agree with you about realizing how difficult it will be for a magazine to please all levels of crocheter skills. Perhaps the magazine's name is the key to what its "mission" will be?

I've always liked the Rowan knitting magazines with their span of projects graded in complexity. Something for everyone, perhaps.

xo

krazy knit kerena said...

hopefully Janine you can get a subscription for it sent to you i think they do different countries,and they have something on facebook to you might get info from kerena

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

Yes, us begginers need more photos! I'm not too sure about this one, I'll give it a few issues before I make my mind up! Loved the styling in it though! :) x

joyforthesoul said...

oh oh oh!!!!!!! I LOVE the coat hanger idea!!

janie

donia crochet said...

WoW wonderful love them

this is my blog if you like it please join and thanks
http://doniaelcrocheh.blogspot.com/

Vinty Dam said...

Oh! Yes please, yes! I too hope that they branch out a bit more as they progress - less intro to the craft, more variety of stitchery. But for just starting out, this looks fabulous! Thanks for the review!!

vintage grey said...

They do have some sweet magazines!! Love the coat rack!! Have a great week! xo Heather

Kirsten said...

I've tried to get a subscription to the magazine but you can only start now at issue 3 :( . Shame, I knew I should have subscribed when I first heard about the magazine!. Is there something in the magazine about ordering single issues?

Love, Kirsten

Jen said...

I had not heard about this new magazine, so thank you for sharing! I will definately see if I can pick up a copy on my way home from work tonight!

Jen

Jen said...

I hadn't heard about this new magazine so thank you for sharing! I will definately see if I can pick up a copy on my way home from work tonight.

Jen

MeMeRose said...

Hi Kirsten, I think eventually there will be an option to buy singular back issues... issue one probably hasn't hit the newstands in US yet though...

Kristen said...

Oh my, that looks beautiful. Fingers crossed that it someday makes its way across the ocean to the US. Thank you for the lovely preview! :)

lifeathollycottage said...

I must get a copy of this! I would LOVE to crochet some vintage pillowcases - must try and find a tutorial for that, (Unless there is one in the magazine?) Nikki x

Hannah Coral said...

Lovely to read your review of Simply Crochet, I took out an early subscription offer of 3 issues for £5 but have mixed feelings about the content, there were no projects that made me want to run to the yarn store.
I get alot more excited about the projects in inside crochet, have you read this magazine??
Thank you Hannah x

MeMeRose said...

Hi Hannah, I have only ever purchased one copy of Inside Crochet magazine, last October,as my blog was featured in it!! I know what you mean about Simply Crochet; I have just bought issue two and can't say I feel I want to make anything from it... I feel I should save the money I spend on magazines and buy a decent book each month.