Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Alice owl crochet-a-long part 2


Hello! Today its all about the eyes... the eyes give your owl her character. Make two outer circles and two inner circles. Before stitching the inner eye to the outer eye you need to embroider the owl's eyelashes. Using black yarn and a needle I embroidered the eyelashes using running stitch free-hand. Use the ridge from the last round of crochet as a guide. Sew in all the ends.

Stitch an inner eye off-centre to the larger circle and using the same colour yarn as the inner eye, attach to the outer eye with small running stitches.

Leave the eyes as they are until the beak has been made. You will attach all three at the same time.

Outer circle: rounds 1-5 of the pattern below
Inner circle: rounds 1-3 of the pattern below. (I made R1-4 for this owl, but Alice owl is R1-3 for inner circle).



Pattern for the eyes - remember to convert for US;UK dc is US sc, UK htr is US hdc.

Chain 5, slip stitch to form a ring

R1 - ch 2 (counts as 1 htr). Work 11 htr into ring, join with ss into top of first chain 2.

R2 - ch 2 (counts as 1 htr) 1 htr in first st, 2 htr in each st to end, join with ss into top of 1st ch 2.

R3 - ch 2 ( counts as 1 htr) 1 htr into 1st st * 1 htr into next stitch, 2 htr into next, repeat from * to last st, 1 htr into last st, join with ss into top of ch 2.

R4 - repeat R3

R5 - ch 2, 1 htr into each st to end, ss in top of ch 2

I have made a slight change to the moss stitch panels - work 48 rows not 44...

Next instalment: nose and ears!

I'll leave you with a little look at my latest crochet blanket... its slowly growing...



 

12 comments:

Sue W @ Living the Good Life said...

I might have to have a go at the owl, but not yet!! Too many UFO's! I made the cat jump just now when I saw the blanket and made a squeal!! Haha! Small things eh :D xx

Em said...

I love your blanket, it reminds me of sunsets over the ocean in tropical places :)

Em

MeMeRose said...

I had to laugh because I had forgotten I'd posted the wip blanket picture and wondered which blanket had made the cat jump! Thank you ladies... I love this wip blanket, but it is very neglected at the moment. My grannies would say "too many irons in the fire" x

Superfruity said...

I love the colors of your wip blanket! Can I ask which yarn that is?

Superfruity said...

I love the colors of your wip blanket! Can I ask which yarn that is?

Hannapat said...

Thanks for so generously sharing the owl tute. Your blanket is looking amazing!!!!! Love the pattern on it and the colours. Xoxo

SmallP said...

I love that blanket. You have a great eye for colour. :-)

SmallP
xx

The Faerie Factory said...

I must put Alice on my to do list, then I must find some time... oh if only you could crochet up some extra hours ~ Sarah x

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Thanks for the pattern. I started my owl last night.

Carole C said...

Ooh,grow it a bit faster please,can't wait to see it finished !

MeMeRose said...

Superfruity... too many yarn colours to list. I predominantly use acrylic stylecraft and king cole, but pick up yarn at charity shops and car boot sales and there is a bit of everything in this project.

emma from toadstool tales said...

Oooh, you blanket is stunning. And I love owls! X