Thursday 4 May 2017

CALs

I must say it has been a joy catching up with some of the lovely souls who have found my blog. Thank you for your messages, I appreciate each of you.

Today I thought I would look back at some projects I've made during my hiatus. Over the last few years I have taken part in a few CALs to improve my crochet skills and I have really enjoyed being part of a creative Facebook community making the same project. Just receiving part of the pattern each week makes the process less daunting and it forces me to take my time and savour the process.

I like using my Mandala Madness blanket in the shed; the colours were inspired by the changing colours in the garden from about April to September last year. Colour wise it is one of the strangest colour schemes I have ever used, but very suited to its outdoorsy life. It's made with Stylecraft and a 3.5 mm hook so it's smaller than suggested by the designer. Very similar to Sophies Universe in many ways.



There are mistakes galore in this blanket but that just makes it unique. Counting stitches does make life easier and I didn't always do that with this project. I was never really at peace with this blanket as the colours didn't sing to me. It is growing on me slowly. 

Currently I am supposedly taking part in the Hygge CAL but my enthusiasm has waned. I hope I can get back in the groove with this project as it would look good as a wall hanging on the back of the bathroom door. A friend recently told me I have "good special awareness ", which I think translates as I use every nook and cranny in the house to display my crafts and treasures.

 

Like many others I had a go at Sophies Universe, although I was late to the party. I made it in one month and did housework and went to work! I combined it with various other patterns to make a blanket for our bed. The blanket is so big I haven't got a picture of it all; it is the warmest blanket ever and I haven't needed a hot water bottle all winter! It really is a work of art and I have really enjoyed looking at it whilst lying in bed. There's only me and you dear reader who knows exactly what effort goes into something like this.; non crafters just don't get it.

 

 
 

I incorporated some of Zootyowl's Seaside Winter cal blocks in the bed blanket.

 
 

The first cal I did was Stylecraft Lily Pond by Jane Crowfoot. I must say I gave this blanket to my sister in law and regret this ever so slightly. It's important to share the crochet love though. The CALs and the Vanessa Mooncie animal heads have helped me develop my skills and they have taken me out of my comfort zone.

 

I'm not aware of any CALs this year, so I might do Sophies Universe again or maybe Stylecraft 2016 cal Frida's Flowers. I found a Kilim rug at a charity shop last year and it fit perfectly in the summer house/shed. The colours go in the shed although they are not necessarily colours I would choose, but I think a blanket to compliment the rug would be good. Currently I am making a cushion cover.

 

I haven't quite got my blogging groove back, but fingers crossed! Enjoy your week...




 

2 comments:

Przygody z drutami said...

Wonderful.things,congratulations.and.greetings

my4lilgirls said...

Just spotted your blog again, im so glad to see it.
Pure crochet art, colourful & full of wonder. looking forward to keeping up with your posts
Karen x