Friday 9 June 2017

Tunisian crochet beginnings

I saw a blanket created by Poppyandbliss  last year and loved it but didn't know how to do Tunisian crochet and also didn't want to learn. A couple of weeks ago I decided to try a new technique and bought the pattern for the sunset blanket. What appealed about this pattern is that you don't need to use a long Tunisian hook as there are only a small amount of stitches on the hook. I'm using a 4.5mm hook with dk yarn from my stash.

 

Tunisian simple stitch is just that, simple. I like the fabric it creates and combining colours creates new hues out of old stash. It's keeping me amused at the moment and I'm looking forward to the rustic style patchwork blanket that will result. I really struggled to comprehend the pattern instructions for the joining technique and had to abandon my first sample; making it into a plant pot cover.

 
After alot of research I fashioned my own join technique that consists of using only the bottom bar of the V stitch. This creates a flat seam and an extra bar which adds to the flow of the fabric.

 

YouTube is the place to go to learn Tunisian crochet. I am left handed so needed a bit of extra help. Simply crochet magazine also have tutorials on this technique on their website.


1 comment:

Natas Nest said...

Wow, the flowerpot looks fantastic! ♥ Great idea. And the blanket's start is super pretty as well. I did a bit TC years ago but your pics are tempting me to try again ;-). Sunny greetings, Nata